Left Function in Excel
LEFT Function returns the no of characters from the left side of the string in excel
Left Function will Return 4 Characters from the left side of the Education Column as we added 4 as number of Chracters in left formula.
The LEFT function is a text string function that gives the number of characters from the LEFT side of the string. It helps extract characters beginning from the LEFTMOST side. The result depends on the number of characters specified in the formula.
- The LEFT function gives a specified number of characters from the left side of a text string.
- The LEFT function accepts two arguments–“text” and “num_chars.”
- The default value of “num_chars” is set at 1.
- If “num_chars” is greater than the length of the text, the LEFT function returns the complete text.
- If “num_chars” is less than zero, the LEFT function returns the “#VALUE! error.”
The LEFT function is used to extract text from the left side of a text string.
Use the RIGHT function to extract text starting from the right side of the text.
MID function to extract from the middle of the text. The LEN function returns the length of text as a count of characters.